5.4 Raiding.

Re: 5.4 Raiding.

Postby Erasmas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 am

I certainly would be interested in a flex raid, since I am generally constrained for time and so unavailable for raiding three nights a week. Would anyone be interested in planning a regular guild run (with perhaps plans to pug in any "necessary" roles we can't fill) once a week? Is there a night that would be better than others? I could see planning this for either one off the "off" nights (so that regular raid members could join, if they desired), or on Tuesdays, as an opportunity for non-core raiders to participate, since it seems there are a larger number of folks logged in that night
Erasmas

Postby Erasmas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 pm

My understanding is that flex raids will award gear in the same fashion as LFR, I.e. everyone has an independent shot at a piece. Does that reduce your concerns about pugs some?

I also see it as a better way than LFR for learning encounters for later normal mode attempts, and possibly a good way to try people out. My other thought is that, since it's tuned to be easier than normal, it could also be an alternative activity when for whatever reason only eight or nine raiders show.
Erasmas

Postby Geemjoo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

My thoughts on flex is use it to gear up your "2's" and "3's" after the normal 10 mans. Remember RNG sucks! (16 weeks to get T4 Shoulders out of Gruul's for Geemjoo, 24 kills with coin roll + 12 for weekly kill for T14 shoulders on Priest Alt) So sometimes the best way to fill the gear gaps are to get the slightly crappier version of the item until your EPGP and/or loot actually drops on Normal mode.

I don't know that we really have the numbers to determine how we are going to flex yet. If we start consistently having 13-15 people online around raid time, Flex will become a higher priority so that people can sub in and learn the subtle changes between LFR, Flex, and Normal. The options you have listed are consequently ALL plausible at this point.

Also when you get the ability to edit your posts Avaxxa add to my notes that I am on Pacific Standard Time so a 9PM raid server time is actually 6PM my time and I usually work until 5PM + traffic (30 mins to an hour) which is why it takes me a bit to long on during the week. I am literally breaking the sound barrier to get home in time for raids some nights. So when you say 7PM to 9PM raids, I say a big no, even when I do finally get a civilian job, most likely to be a no.
Geemjoo

Postby Promark » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Let me start by saying that I would like the discussion to continue and I debated jumping in for fear of scaring people away. My only suggestion is to not formalize anything.

A plan for flex raiding is already in the works, and we brought it up before raiding a few weeks ago, it was even on the in-game calendar to the entire guild as a guild meeting. While I realize that some of you are not on during those times, others are and I am surprised that some of the ideas being brought up were issues we went over.

The current intention is that we will likely use Tuesday night as a flex night for the first few weeks or every other week (possibly hosting it on the weekend on off-weeks). The main goal of which is to get gear and sell the guild and snag a few new members. This means that we will likely bring in players who are not guilded.

We will use the ZJ forums and OpenRaid.us to organize the group(s) and vet those interested well before the patch hits. At the moment, all we are waiting for is the patch to get closer.

Avaxxa, I understand not wanting to spend the time and effort on random people who we may get nothing back from, but how else are we supposed to recruit? I know there are times we have sat around talking about how to draw in new people and it was suggested to do something along the lines of this very thing. I'm at a loss as to how to drum up business on a realm where the Alliance is dying off.
Promark
Retired & Site Admin

Re: Alliance Dying Off & 5.4 Raiding

Postby Geemjoo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

What happened? Is there some background story that I missed as to why the Alliance has taken such a major dive on the server or is this just the typical mid-expansion doldrums before the final raid tier.

As far as what you were saying Pro, just from past experience as a guild leader, there are always going to be the 1 or 2 "rude" players out there who you waste your time on trying to make sure you get your weekly raid in. It's part of the reason I wish they had made Warcraft 4 instead of World of Warcraft, I don't enjoy having to rely on other people to do my work. Putting that aside, flex is being created so that those "rude" players don't steal as much of the normal gear because you now have a means of testing their loyalties. Don't want to flex, not currently a Machin Shin raider, see ya. Might not ever be that simple, but we can hope.
Geemjoo

Re: Alliance Dying Off & 5.4 Raiding

Postby Promark » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Geemjoo wrote:What happened? Is there some background story that I missed as to why the Alliance has taken such a major dive on the server or is this just the typical mid-expansion doldrums before the final raid tier.

Two reasons:
  • ZJ became known as a French Canadian friendly realm - while some don't care, others do; just look at trade chat and the guild recruitment, I would venture 75+% of adds are French
  • A few high ranked guilds server transferred to ZJ Horde during Cata. As 25 Alliance started to wain, they transferred to Horde. We have had more than a few long time guildies transfer.
Promark
Retired & Site Admin

Return to General Discussion / Guild Relations